Installing hardwood floors is one of the best choices you can make as a homeowner. They not only look great, but they add tons of resale value to your home. Hardwood isn’t without its flaws, though. Keep reading to learn about some of the most common hardwood floor challenges in Birmingham, AL:
- Spills: One of the biggest challenges with hardwood is dealing with spills, especially for folks with young children. Since hardwood isn’t waterproof like vinyl or tile, you need to blot the spill as soon as possible and then wipe it clean with a fresh towel. We recommend laying down area rugs to protect your hardwood as effectively as possible.
- High humidity: Alabama’s high humidity levels pose another problem for real hardwood floors. When the humidity is high, hardwood absorbs water from the air and may expand near the edges of the boards. The best way to solve this problem is to buy a dehumidifier that helps lower the humidity level in your home.
- Low humidity: On the opposite end of the spectrum, homeowners who live in arid climates need to worry about low humidity. Hardwood floors contract when humidity levels are low, leaving gaps between the boards. Thankfully, we hardly ever have to worry about this problem in Alabama!
- Fading: The sun’s UV rays don’t just cause sunburns—they’re also responsible for fading your gorgeous hardwood floors. The only way to avoid excessive fading is to hang window treatments that block out the sunlight.
- Creaky boards: Squeaking and creaking floors are another one of the top common hardwood floor challenges in Birmingham, AL. This issue stems from poor installation. Qualified contractors know to use the right material for the subfloor to ensure creaking isn’t an issue down the road.
Hire professionals for installation
DIY home improvements are all the rage right now. While there are plenty of projects a capable homeowner can handle, installing hardwood flooring typically isn’t one of them. Here are a few of the reasons to hire a pro to install your new floors:
- Guaranteed results: When you hire a professional for installation, you can rest easy knowing that the job will be done right the first time. As long as you hire the right team, you’ll never have to worry about creaky and annoying floors.
- Avoid frustration: Online videos make hardwood flooring installation look as easy as pie. Unfortunately, that’s not always how it works out. Properly installing hardwood takes patience and a little bit of skill. Hiring a pro to handle it can take a burden off your shoulders and save you some very frustrating afternoons.
- Save money: Professional installation obviously isn’t free, but it might wind up being cheaper than doing it yourself in the long run. Self-installation can get pricy if you don’t get it right the first time. Additionally, any repairs needed after poor installation will be pretty expensive.
You can avoid most of these common hardwood floor challenges in Birmingham, AL by choosing Metro Contractors Inc. to install your new flooring. We have a vast selection of flooring options for any room in your home. Contact us today to learn more.
Categorised in: Flooring Installation
This post was written by Writer