Your choice of remodeling contractor will have a huge impact on the outcome of your project. You want to find someone who will deliver reliable work and quality results. How can you find someone worthy of your trust? Use the following tips for choosing a remodeling contractor in Birmingham, AL. If you notice any of these red flags, you should look elsewhere for your remodeling contractor:
- No license: When you contact a remodeling contractor regarding a project, one of the first things you should ask is to see their proof of licensure. They should be registered and have a license to do the type of project for which you want to hire them. If they cannot produce this proof, take your business to another contractor who can.
- No address: Some businesses have a P.O. box for their mail delivery. However, a legitimate business should also have a street address they can provide for you. If the contractor is unwilling to provide their address, this indicates something fishy is going on, and you should find another contractor.
- No insurance: In addition to licensing, a contractor should be able to show you proof of insurance. They need current coverage for business liability. Make sure the coverage is adequate and up to date.
- No waivers: The contractor should agree to give you lien waivers from the materials, subcontractors and remodelers. If they are not willing to do this, you could suffer from damage later, so don’t work with anyone who will not provide these waivers.
- No references: A reliable contractor should be able to point to satisfied clients who can recommend their work. If you can’t get any references or are unable to reach any of the ones provided, find someone who is more established.
- No payments: If the contractor will only accept cash payments, this is a bad sign. The same goes for checks made out to cash, or checks made out to someone other than the name of the remodeling company. These are not legitimate business practices, so you should take your business to another contractor.
- No delay: You should also beware of anyone who wants full payment up front. Among tips for choosing a remodeling contractor in Birmingham, AL, this is one of the trickiest things to avoid. They may claim they need payment for materials, but this does not require full payment up front. Contractors who demand all the money before any work is completed are often pulling a scam. They will take your money, and you’ll never see them again.
A safe choice
As you consider tips for choosing a remodeling contractor in Birmingham, AL, look to the professionals at Metro Contractors Inc. Family owned and operated, we’ve been serving residential and commercial customers throughout the area since 1989. Our team is dedicated to best practices and adheres to the highest standards in the industry. We value your satisfaction, and we work very closely with our clients to ensure their expectations are exceeded. We will not stop working until the job is done right. Contact us today for a free estimate.
Categorised in: Home Remodeling
This post was written by Writer