Winter isn’t an optimal time for doing outdoor home additions, but it is a great time to plan for your porch addition in Birmingham, AL. It might be frosty outside now, but by the time spring rolls around, you’ll be ready to go. If you start planning now, you’ll have plenty of time to consider all of your options, including financing and inspiration. Here’s our checklist for planning a porch addition during the winter:
- Choose your budget: Your budget is the single most important factor when it comes to choosing how to go about a home addition or remodel. When you sit down and decide how much you can reasonably afford to spend, you’ll be able to better estimate what kind of porch and fixtures you’ll be able to get. Remember to build in a little extra for any contingencies.
- Decide which kind of porch you want: There are many options for porches, including location, size, the roof style and even whether you want an outdoor kitchen. Ask yourself what you’ll be using your porch for—Hosting parties? Relaxing? Watching the kids play in the yard?—and then think about whether you’ll need plumbing or electrical assistance. This is a great time to collect photos for inspiration so you can show your contractor.
- Decide on wants vs. needs: After you’ve decided on your budget and which kind of porch you want, you can start sorting your desires into “wants” versus “needs.” Maybe you need a porch that can be screened in at a moment’s notice, or one that has heating and/or ceiling fans for year-round comfort. Once you’ve decided what you must have versus what’s nice to have, you’ll be able to make smart budgetary choices (especially with the guidance of your contractor).
- Find the right contractor: Choosing the right contractor for your job will also help guide your choices. Be sure to research multiple contractors and get quotes about their costs and time estimates. Look up reviews online, ask for word-of-mouth recommendations from family and friends and research their certifications. Look for a contractor who is willing to work with you by answering all of your questions.
- Think about product options: Finally, your contractor will be able to give you a better idea of the materials that will be involved, their costs and their durability. This is the final piece that will allow you to fully plan for your brand-new porch addition.
Get help with your winter remodeling projects in Birmingham, AL
Metro Contractors Inc. is capable of performing a huge range of residential rebuilding tasks, including porch additions, kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, masonry installation and home painting. If you are looking to expand your living space, we are qualified to build, wire and outfit new home additions. Your satisfaction is our top priority. Our company is a certified general contractor in the state of Alabama, and we know you’ll be thrilled with your new home or addition. Call us today to request a quote or schedule a consultation. We look forward to meeting with you soon!
This post was written by Writer