Adding a deck or expanding your current one is a great way to add value to your home while creating a space to entertain friends and family. Though we don’t always recommend it (particularly if you’ve never built anything before), deck building can be a DIY project.
That said, there are some things to keep in mind when it comes to decking in Birmingham, AL. Here’s what you need to consider when building a deck by yourself.
- Know your codes: First, look up your area’s regulations for building a deck. You may have HOA or city restrictions that say how big your deck can be or if you can even build one at all.
- Get a permit: You might need to get a permit from the city to build your new deck. Beginning the project without a permit is a grave mistake, as you could end up paying a hefty fine down the road.
- Decide on your needs: Are you going to use this deck to host big summer parties or are you going to use it for small family get-togethers? Do you want to add a centerpiece like a fire pit, or will some simple patio furniture suffice? These are just a few of the basic questions you’ll want to have answers to before you start construction.
- Set a budget: How much can you afford to spend on this deck? Your budget can determine a lot when it comes to size and special features. A new deck can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand depending on how big it is and the materials you choose. Keep in mind that you can always add on to your deck later if you don’t have the budget for a huge deck right now.
- Pick your materials: Your deck could have a drastically different appearance depending on the wood or material you choose. Redwood and cedar are classics, but teak and ipe are getting increasingly popular. Though wood is traditionally the most popular option, there are many alternatives these days, including composite decking, plastic and aluminum.
- Get the tools: Chances are, you probably don’t have all of the tools required to build a deck laying around your garage. You’ll probably need to rent or buy some tools, like a circular saw, nail gun and air compressor, power drill and a framing hammer. Of course, you’ll also need the basics, like a tape measure and a level.
- Hire a pro: Our advice? Just hire a professional in the first place! A pro will take care of all of the things above, so all you need to do is sit back and wait for the contractor to finish it. Hiring a deck builder in Birmingham, AL can also save you money, as they already have the right tools and can buy decking materials at cost.
If you try and fail at building a deck by yourself, you can always hire a remodeling contractor in Birmingham, AL to do the job for you! If that’s the case, be sure to hire Metro Contractors. Our experienced team of pros can have that new deck built in no time, so you can start grilling out and enjoying it this summer.
Categorised in: Deck Addition
This post was written by Writer